Arduino basics & learning

There have been lots of folks on here new to Arduino, so I thought I’d start this thread for people to link their favorite overview & learning references. I find Collin’s style entertaining and easy to follow, so I thought I’d start with this one:

The larger playlist this video is in contains lots of other videos about tools, soldering, multimeters, schematics, etc.

Newbie question - uploading code
I've Never Used an Arduino

Found this video on YouTube and thought it might help some of the Arduino beginner in our group.

Happy coding
Coyote

WiFi Robot: Trouble Uploading Go Forward Code

Hi guys, just came across this book bundle deal for $10, it’s only available for one more day.

Book recommendation: Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by by Charles Petzold.

Here’s a summary from the wiki:

Petzold begins with discussions of the inventions of Morse code and Braille, adds electricity, number systems, Boolean logic, and the resulting epiphanies required to put them all together economically. With these building blocks he builds circuits, relays, gates, switches, discusses the inventions of the vacuum tube, transistors, and finally the integrated circuit.

The book is from 1999/2000 but that doesn’t really matter. The point of the book is to walk you through a history of how computers came to be what we know today, starting basic with Morse Code, working through logic gates, and building up circuits to make an adding machine and then talking about automation to make a basic computer.

I’d heard much of the information here and there over the years and thought it was neat to see it all presented in a somewhat chronological fashion. I’d say I now have a better understanding and appreciation for electronics and computers after reading this book. It’s truly remarkable how complex computers are and it’s very easy to take them for granted and forget how far back much of the building blocks go and how many people worked so hard to put everything together.

My newfound interest in hardware has found me Googling for opcodes used by the chip that powers the Arduino, just to satisfy a curiosity about how it works at such a lower level. Not that I ever plan to do anything with it, but I find it important to have a basic understanding of the foundation of things to better understand our current situation.

I’ve also been watching through these videos to build an 8-bit computer: https://eater.net/8bit. I think it’d be awesome to do myself someday!

Wow! I knew the basics of much of this, but to see it actually get explained out and then built was something else. I also finally understand why all these components we use in electronics projects have a CLK pin. I knew computers were regulated by clock pulses, but I didn’t realize how that actually worked down in the hardware. It definitely helps understand the finer bits of programming, when things can multiple clock cycles to perform one actual operation. With modern programs, it’s a good thing we have bajillions of clock cycles per second :slight_smile: