Arduino software

I am new to this entire coding experience. I read some of the previous posts and found out that I need the Arduino software (which was not clear to me in the cube instructions). I attempted to download the Arduino software all to find out that my computer won’t let me. That is my first problem. I am anticipating problems with “entering a code” as I have never done this in my entire life. Can someone help? I got this as something fun for us to do as a family with my four boys and we are stuck in the beginning stages of the first box. In addition, it is difficult to hear the videos explaining the cube directions.

Have you tried resources like either of these?

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage

Hi there, I’m Oscar - one of the founders here at Thimble and happy to help. Can you reach out to us at support@thimble.io? We’d be happy to hop on a call or Skype to see how we can help and make sure you can figure out the coding parts of the project. Let me know! Thanks!

We are still working on our “Arduino Zero to Hero” video series and we will have it published by next week. As soon as that done, I will be enhancing the coding sections for the currently published kits to add videos and more explanation. In the meantime, there are resources on arduino.cc and instructables as @mkenig mentioned. In the meantime, we are happy to help you. Can you explain what you mean by this:

I attempted to download the Arduino software all to find out that my computer won’t let me.

Is there a specific error message that you are receiving?

They replied via email. I’m copying to the forum in case anyone else runs into this issue. The error message was:

"Arduino” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers.

Google Chrome downloaded this file on April 30, 2017 from www.arduino.cc."

This is due to Mac OSX Gatekeeper. You can either modify the security preferences or do a one-time installation of Arduino by right clicking the icon and clicking open and then telling it to ignore the security warning.

There is a more detailed discussion in this thread on the Arduino forum:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,133710.msg1006000.html#msg1006000