Bad LED Board?

I’m thinking I may have bad LED board. Not matter which test I run, the LEDs after the 5th one on board 5 won’t light. Board 6 remains dark as well. The solder joints all seem fine, but I’m guessing that’s not the problem, since the first 5 LEDs on that board are fine.

From the simplified “Strandtest” sketch:

Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(96, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

Hi Mike - sorry to hear about the bad board. I’ll reach out via email and see if we can send a replacement board or another kit.

You can try reflowing the solder joints on that first LED that’s out. Just touch your soldering iron tip against each one (there’s 4) for a couple seconds. If you’ve got a steady hand and some thin solder wire, you might even add a little bit extra solder to it. It’s worth a try!

That definitely looks like a bad board, which is very disappointing as Oscar and I personally tested every one of these boards for failures. Please reach out to support@thimble.io

As @brian noted, you can try fixing the bad LED yourself by touching the soldering iron to each of the 4 pins of the bad LED, or by replacing just that LED (though that kind of reflow work is difficult with a soldering iron and only slightly easier with a hot air reflow gun). The next time I’m in front of the camera, I’ll record a video of me replacing an LED so you can see an example.

No-go with the reflow. The LED must be dead.

Aw, well, it was worth a try. Do you think you can desolder that board and replace it? If so, I’ll drop a replacement board in the mail today. If not, send us an email at support@thimble.io and we’ll send you a replacement kit.

I’ll also send you a return label and I’ll do a video going through the failure mode of the LED (looking at it under the microscope to try to see what caused it to fail) and I’ll also show how to replace the LED.

I’ll try to desolder it - I’m waiting for the toolkit to arrive to use the solder-sucker. I haven’t received a tracking number though.

Sometimes you can just touch a clean soldering iron to each one and a bit of solder will stick so you can clean it up.