Error while uploading troubleshooting code

After I finished soldering the headers onto the top face of the LED cube, I tried to upload both sets of troubleshooting code. In addition, I also looked up test code from Arduino and Adafruit, but I still get the same error: exit status 1 error compiling for board. I have tried to find what this error means, but I still haven’t been able to upload any code or get the LED face to light. Can anyone help me?

The “exit status 1” error just means the code couldn’t be uploaded to the board. First check that you’re using the correct interface - under the Tools menu item in the Arduino IDE check that the “Board” is Arduino/Genuino Uno and the “Port” is ComX/(Arduino/Genuino Uno) where X is a valid Com port (e.g., 3). If these are correct, then scroll up in the bottom window of the IDE to see where the compile error occurred.

I tried your solution and was able to get rid of the “exit status 1” error, but now I get a message that there was an error while uploading the sketch. More specifically, the error looks like this: avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30. Is there a way to fix this?

That error usually happens when you have the wrong COM port selected or your Arduino isn’t recognized by your computer. Double check that you have the USB cable connected to a working USB port on your computer and that you have select your Arduino from the Port: menu.

All three of the USB ports available in my computer give me the same one option for a port: COM3. Do you know of any others ways to help the computer recognize the board?

Did you read any of the early posts where there was a problem with the 5v/3.3v switch on the Uno board? Try sliding the switch back and forth a few times and then leave it in the 5v position.