Looking for a simple project with ESP8266 to understand how wifi modules work with arduino

We completed the WiFi light switch project successfully but would like to understand how the ESP8266 chip works with Arduino ? I have a spare ESP8266 chip and would like to do a simple project (turn on an LED using wifi control). Can someone help me get started on this ? What do I need (voltage regulator, mosfets etc) and how to connect it on a breadboard ? Could I use the TX/RX pin on Arduino or do I have to use the Analog pins as in the WiFi light switch project ?

It would also be great if there are some simple breadboard project with these kits to understand how to connect and use the chip with Arduino before heading to the PCB. It’s hard to figure out the PCB connection after soldering and sometimes schematic is also not very simple to understand with so many components. I would be able to create my own project someday if I understood how the ESP8266 works and what else do I need with it to connect to Arduino.

I have not tried this myself, but I found this that looked interesting:

Thanks! This seems like a simple project that I would like to try. However, there is no MOSFET used on the Rx and Tx pins as in the light switch project. The light switch project uses 2 MOSFETs to convert 5v to 3v for the serial pins. Don’t we need that in this project ?

Hm, it seems maybe that’s not the best tutorial :slight_smile: It does look like you always need 3.3V and not 5V. This page has a warning about never using 5V directly from Arduino:

GreatScott has an overview too:

Thanks! I had found this and was going to try this. This one atleast talks about shifting down voltage for TX/RX pins as well.

this

You just need to make sure you match up where you’ve connected the ESP component with the code you are using.

In the Thimble project, they used pins 8 and 9:

If you look at the shield, you can see D8 is for pins 8 and 9:

So you’d either want to connect the component to a different spot on the shield, or update your code to match where you’ve connected it.

ok thanks

Hi…i have started the one but experience was not good. Datasheets for the ESP8266 are quite poor, but basically it’s a microcontroller with WiFi with default firmware that will respond to “AT” style commands over serial. Modules are cheap ($5) and the range is fantastic hundreds of meters and of course that can be improved with better antennas.

quick turn pcb assembly in usa