Make the robot move!

official

The Arduino IDE isn’t the most user-friendly compared to tools like VisualStudio, XCode, JetBrains IDE products, or even Eclipse, but it is getting better. In case you ever want to contribute to making it better or follow along, development happens via github: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino

I did some research and put together some basic WiFi functionality as well as a client-side HTML based remote. My current implementation simply uses the last official code in the WiFi Robot Tutorial - Part 1 and only adds the WiFi connectivity and a function for future autonomous navigation.

I was unable to post the code on this forum due to the length of the file and difficulty getting the Forum to display it properly, so I had to upload the files to Github and will provide a link below.

For proper functionality please keep all files in the same folder and upload the provided Arduino sketch to your board. After uploading the Arduino sketch to your board, then please disconnect your Thimble WiFi Robot, connect to the new “ThimbleBot” wifi network, then open the controls.html file.

The controls are a little laggy due to the fact that the command has to go to the ESP8266, then the Arduino, and then finally the Arduino will interpret and perform the requested action.

Note: I have found a bug where if you press on a command on the controls too quickly, it may stop responding. However in my tests I was able to regain control simply refreshing the page.

Source: https://github.com/pgarcia84/thimblebot

Okay so I’m having an issue with my WiFi bot and I’m hoping someone here can help, I’ve built the robot and I’m getting my power light so I know I have power. However, every time I try to upload one of David’s codes to my robot, Arduino tells me that there is “a problem uploading sketch to board.” I’ve tried everything I can think of to get it to work and it still gives me the same problem. I’m very new to this kind of coding and I have no idea where to start in order to fix the issue. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do about this or know what I may have done wrong?

• Unplug the WiFiBot PCB from the Arduino.
  • Plug in the USB cable.
  • Make sure the power light is on on the Arduino. If it doesn’t turn on, the board is the problem. Play with the power switch to see if you can get it to turn on.
  • In the Arduino IDE, go to File > Examples > Basics > Blink.
  • Open the Blink example, and click Upload. Do you still see the error? If so, refer to https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/troubleshooting#upload
  • If the Blink example uploads, you should see the pin 13 LED blink.

Hey Drake,
Is that the error the Arduino sketch gives you?

Hello. I just finished assembling the wifi robot and have run into a problem, I can’t get Motor A to work. I’ve taken the wires out and switched them with the motor originally plugged into Motor B and the motor plugged into Motor A still won’t operate. I even de-soldered the terminals and reinstalled them and nothing. I am getting an error code while uploading the sketch that says “can’t open device “COM1”: No such file or directory”. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey MeanMachine,
In your arduino sketch did you go to tools>Board>Arduino Genuino Uno? and below that should be Port

When i first started my robot was not being recognized by my computer for some reason. Several reboots and trying on another computer finally allowed my robot to connect and I could see Port as an option.

Hey Mengel. No I didn’t. This is my first time using arduino so I’m not even sure where to get that. I went to the website and downloaded the version for Mac. At the bottom of the IDE on the right it says “Arduino/Genuino Uno on COM1”

I’ll try my best. I don’t have a Mac. At the top there should be menus, one of them Tools click that, then you should see an option for Port. (the bottom indicates you already have the correct board selected). Choose Port from that tools menu and see what is offered. mine happens to be COM3. Of course, you need your board connected to your computer with the USB cable.
I hope that helps.

Thanks for your help. Found the port and got it selected. As far as the board is concerned, are using Genuno/Uno or Uno wifi?

Great news, I got the error to go away and now the motor that wasn’t running now runs continuously. The new issue is the other motor now isn’t functioning at all.

1. Very cool - good start (probably a little too hard for kids under 10)
  2. My son loved Soldering and Glue Gun more than anything - go figure - was bored by the code - but he’s 10 :frowning:
  3. In tutorials -
    a. probably need a basic tutorial on how to use Volt meter and ohm things out - we know and had to do that, but i’m sure others would benefit.
    b. need to slip the motor cables through the transparent sheath on the motor to prevent ripping the copper accidentally (video doesn’t show or say that ) :slight_smile:
    c. might want to add an ON/OFF switch or point out that they will need to constantly connect/disconnect one of the Vin - pain
    d. David struggled alot trying to slot in the wheel bracket mount, because the nut butts up against the wood panel plate. It’s tricky - you need to squeeze the wood while slotting and be careful or could easily break the plate or holder (i.e. in general the wood pieces are too flimsy and easily broken - we made it through unscathed - but i bet alot of people arent so lucky).
    e. When David solders the motor cables onto the motor, he doesn’t specify which cable to which…no big deal, because we can swap cables at the connector later, but this might be confusing to alot of people.
    f. might make a video on how to test the motor simply by applying voltage. When we first connected, only 1 wheel turned. Initially, I just swapped cables at the connector to make sure nothing was wrong with the 2nd motor. After that, we double checked the soldering and found a few cold solder joints - fixed those, reconnected, and everything worked fine. Yay.

Also, my kit didn’t have the screws for the Solder kit. Not a big deal, but FYI in case other people are seeing other issues - then beat on your supplier :slight_smile:

Hey everyone, This is the first time I’ve ever done anything with arduino so I’m trying to really understand whats going on here by going slow and taking it step by step. The build was fairly easy but i’m an idiot when it comes to computers and programming. I’m trying to upload the blink sketch as my first attempt and keep getting an error message and am stuck and confused. Can someone please help me understand what is going wrong or direct me to the right place for answers?

Arduino: 1.8.0 (Windows Vista), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8f
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Trouble uploading Arduino Ide (sketch)to Uno

That happened to me. I just waited a minute and tried to verify again and there was no error.

I tried 5 times over a 30 minute period, just tried again hours later. Problem uploading to board… what is next?

Have you tried this to see what additional information is there?

This thread has a ton of possible issues, so I’m not sure right away what it could be:

Problems include using the wrong COM port, pins 0 and 1 in use when they shouldn’t be, a faulty cable, etc.

Have you tried detaching and reattaching the cable? Maybe it’s not seated correctly?

Check out this thread, and the post by SouthPaw:

I had the same problem and changing the 3.3V-5V switch solved the problem for me.

Hey Mean,

Did you get the other motor working? I had similar. One wheel didn’t turn…for me, I ended up having to re-solder a few of the connectors. So, make sure you don’t have any cold solder joints. As soon as I did that, the other wheel worked.

Greetings AustinThorBoy. I got it working, but only by reversing the code for the motor. When doing so, it won’t go in reverse. I should point out that the stem fir the motor broke and I melt away some of the plastic to resolder the wire onto the motor.