Troubleshooting - Half of cube is lighting up; half is not

My project is halfway there! Sides 1-3 are behaving correctly. Sides 4-6 aren’t responding. See attached images. I suspect it’s a hardware issue but need advice to complete the project.

What I’ve done so far:

• rechecked the schematic
  • rechecked the joints
  • rechecked the arduino connections
  • changed line 10 of the sample code to
  • Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(96, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);
  • restarted my computer (MacBook Air running 10.12.4)

Can anyone offer suggestions on what to troubleshoot next? Should I buy a multimeter to get an accurate read on electrical current? So close!

User81050,

It’s hard to tell from the picture for board 4, but your solder joints don’t look too good - excess amount of solder and doesn’t look like the pad and pin were uniformly heated. No idea on what the “out” pins on board 3 look like. Since boards 1-3 light and problem starts with board 4, double check the “in” and “out” solder joints on boards 3 and 4 for any solder contact between adjacent pins or a cold joint (where solder didn’t coat pad or pin). You might need to clean up those joints.

Good luck.

Great Job so far! I agree that it sounds like a solder joint issue. A multimeter will tell 100% if your connections are good. This one here looks to be fine for a starting hobbyist.

While I agree with all the above suggestions and a good cleanup of solder joints would be good, no one has considered the code. Have you adjusted the code to account for more than 48 LEDs?

A line containing this piece of code “Adafruit_NeoPixel(96, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);” should exist and have 96 in it or a variable that has been set to 96.

Happy coding

Coyote72

Coyote72,

user81050 showed the correct LED number in their original post.

Bugger, sorry missed that.
Thanks @Grandpa

Happy coding
Coyote72

Thanks for the responses. Glad the community here is active. I’ll try cleaning up the joints and report back.