USB Emulation

official

This is a feature I added myself to this kit so i’m proud to announce another section in the Learning Module. It’s about how to get the RGB Matrix Arcade to work as a USB Keyboard. Check it out. Let me know what’s not clear and if I should make a video about this feature.

-David D

From Below:

If you built the kit before 2/14/18 then in the tutorial I switched the instructions for resistor R25 and R1. They should be reversed. With the 150 ohm resistor in R25 and the 1.5k in R1. It can be fixed by cutting and resoldering the resistors. But if you’d like new resistors drop me an email at dressner@thimble.io.

Super sorry about this mistake. It’s our goal here at Thimble to make electronics easy and understandable. With all the fixes that this kit has needed I feel that I haven’t done that to the best of my ability. Everyone who has posted on the forums and emailed in about the errors in the tutorial or libraries has been great and it’s a pleasure to make content for all of you.

-David Dressner

Array leftHeld is declared twice in the USB Emulation sketch (lines 7-10 and 15-18) which causes the compiler to choke. I commented out the extra declaration and uploaded the code to my RGB Matrix Arcade. When I plugged the board into my Windows 10 box, I got error message saying that the USB device was not recognized.

Let me get a fresh kit and computer and i’ll give it a try myself. I’ll also update the code to reflect that commenting out.

I’ve figured out the issue and it’s 100% my fault. In the tutorial I switched the instructions for resistor R25 and R1. They should be reversed. With the 150 ohm resistor in R25 and the 1.5k in R1. I’ve fixed my kit here by cutting and resoldering the resistors but if you or anyone would like some new resistor drop me an email at dressner@thimble.io. I’ve already changed the tutorial and am working on the video changes ASAP. Sorry for this mistake.

To reiterate what I said above. If you built the kit before 2/14/18 then in the tutorial I switched the instructions for resistor R25 and R1. They should be reversed. With the 150 ohm resistor in R25 and the 1.5k in R1. It can be fixed by cutting and resoldering the resistors. But if you’d like new resistors drop me an email at dressner@thimble.io.

Super sorry about this mistake. It’s our goal here at Thimble to make electronics easy and understandable. With all the fixes that this kit has needed I feel that I haven’t done that to the best of my ability. Everyone who has posted on the forums and emailed in about the errors in the tutorial or libraries has been great and it’s a pleasure to make content for all of you.

-David Dressner

I’ll need another pair of resistors. A leg on each one broke off as I was trying to resolder them into the correction locations.

Hi Grandpa - need us to send you these? Let me know and I can loop in Patti to send you some right away. Thanks!

Yes, I need the two resistors.

Cool - we’re on it. :slight_smile:

I got impatient and bought a pack of resistors on Amazon. I installed a 150 and a 1.5k in correct locations on the board. The board is now recognized by my PC as a USB keyboard.

So i flipped the resistors but my serial connection still doesn’t work. My computer recognizes it as a malfunctioning usb device though…

It doesn’t look like the pictures were updated to show the corrected resistors.

Has anyone had success with the USB emulation setup?

All of the hardware checks pass and the game works. Moving onto the USB emulation, my Windows desktop indicates the USB device is malfunctioning. My MacBook indicates “AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect: persistent enumeration failures”.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Jon